Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dreamland Barbecue

Dreamland

As we make our way from Auburn to Tuscaloosa we passed a red truck pulling a very nice Triton bass boat with a 250hp Mercury rigged up on it. For those of you that know me (Matt) at all, you know that I’m crazy about fishing. As we pass this sweet rig I am thinking to myself: I might just know who this is. Sure enough the tag reads “Zona 1” and we pull up beside Mark Zona. If you are like the other three BBQ Boys, you don’t have a clue who he is. I good analogy might be that he is the Stuart Scott of bass fishing. I proceed to roll down the window and shout at him. I find out that he has just finished filming a show somewhere in south Alabama. After this encounter I knew it was going to be a good day. About an hour later we roll into Tuscaloosa and up into a parking spot at Dreamland Barbecue. Dreamland is one of the best known barbecue hotspots in Alabama. They are famous for their ribs and sauce. The ribs at Dreamland are cooked over a pit for 45 minutes to an hour. Most of the restaurants we visited cooked their ribs for almost 16 hours over a pit before serving the meat. As you might imagine, cooking the ribs so quick made them not quite as tender. Whether you enjoyed the meat or not you cannot help but love the sauce. It is a spicy tomato based barbecue sauce, which is served with white bread to all costumers as they wait to get their entrĂ©e. The sauce is definitely the staple for this establishment. The boys and I had two Associated Press writers us while we ate on our second to last day. It is really sad that all of this is coming to an end. It seemed bittersweet to see the end so close ahead, but now as I write this review a few days later I can honestly say that the four of us would do ANYTHING to be back on the road. Isn’t the trip tiring? Sure! Are their some long days and don’t we miss our own beds? You bet! But probably never again will the four BBQ Boys be able to reunite for a trip like this. We made memories and reinforced friendships that will last a lifetime! I love these guys to death. Thank you BBQ Nation for making this trip so great!!

Signing off,

Bus Driver - Matt Lee

4 comments:

Adrian said...

Somewhere between Atlanta and Auburn is just a little too vague.
That aside, hats off to the BBQ Boys.Accounting logo

glass dining table said...

Hey webmaster, good day. Gorgeous blog post. You have gained a new fan. Please continue this awesome work and I look forward to more of your excellent posts. Sincerely, …glass dining table

glass dining table said...

Hey webmaster, good day. Gorgeous blog post. You have gained a new fan. Please continue this awesome work and I look forward to more of your excellent posts. Sincerely, …glass dining table

Pedro Gomes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.